Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Ad Hoc Committee
The Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Ad Hoc Committee was formed in April 2021 in response to priorities identified by Allen City Council during creation of their 2036 Strategic Plan. Allen City Councilmembers charged the group with finding ways to enhance Allen's diversity, equity and inclusion, then presenting their recommendations in a final report to City Council.
The group of 12 Allen residents, appointed by Mayor Ken Fulk, were assigned the following tasks:
- Research community best practices to enhance diversity, equity and inclusion in Allen.
- Research partnership opportunities that may provide additional avenues to advance diversity, equity and inclusion in our community.
- Determine if there is a need for a permanent board focused on opportunities to promote unity in the community.
- Prepare and deliver a comprehensive report for Council consideration. The report should include a proposed action plan with timeline and priorities for each action proposed.
- Conclude by November and deliver report to Council at the November 23, 2021 Council meeting.
Report and Findings
The Diversity, Equity and Inclusion (DE&I) Ad Hoc Committee presented their final report to Allen City Council on November 9. Committee members logged closed to 2,000 hours to research and prepare recommendations.
- “Better together”: Ad hoc committee presents findings, recommendations for full community engagement
Their findings coalesced into four themes: Listening, connection, education and continued citizen involvement through creation of a permanent Community Engagement Citizen Advisory Board.
Members of the Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Ad Hoc Committee
|John Gain, Chair|
|Robert Boone, Vice Chair|
|Mahmood A. Umer|